Captain Spaulding Chronicles: Two in the bush

Kampala

I think of myself as a broad-spectrum general interest naturalist. If I were to select specialities, they would be comparative anatomy, animal cognition and socio-biology. The rest of the world however, has a different view. To most people who meet me almost universally come to the same conclusion. They introduce me as the bird guy. I am then left fumbling in vain to explain that I am equally interested in most animals with a slight preference for warm blooded vertebrates. Once I feel I have finally made my point clear, I am once again introduced: "Have you met John? He's the bird guy".


My frustration over this is actually pretty mild as it is usually intended as a compliment, and if I'm being completely honest, there's probably a lot more truth to it than I acknowledge. Birds are on the whole the most accessable and easiest inroads into nature. Practically anywhere you go you are likely to see birds. On the whole, birds are less timid than other small animals as they can always fly off to escape. It is fair to say that my first real encounter with wild animals was at the bird feeder in my family's yard. Like so many suburban raised naturalists, my powers of observation were honed by learning the difference between chickadees and nuthatches. I learned dimorphism from cardinals and flock dynamic from sparrows.

Now before I travel, I generally buy the most complete, best illustrated field guide I can find without a thought to how much weight it adds to my luggage. The volume is always well thumbed through before I reach the airport. It is one of the absolute essential items in my bag. I usually have it and a compact pair of binoculars beside me at breakfast and try to secure a table near a window.

I suppose my principle objection to being termed a "bird guy" is that it lumps me into a stereotype. Bird guys are generally in their mid sixties, soft spoken and carry photographic equipment roughly the size and complexity of a commercial satellite with a pair of binoculars that wouldn't look out of place in a Spanish galleon's gun deck. They lecture  anyone they can corner incessantly over the nearly invisible difference in non breeding plumage in indistinguishable warblers. That's not me.

I have a small point-and-shoot digital camera, or more likely a sketchpad and pen. I also have a preference for birds of prey or larger slightly ungainly birds like hornbills, turacos or herons rather than dainty flycatchers. I do have to admit that my avian interests have at times been in slight conflict with others in the Safari vehicle during this trip. While they want to move on and see more lions, I want to wait until I can figure out what kind of vulture that is, or take another picture of the fish eagle. I try to curb the more grating aspects of this obsession and not waste everyone's time on the Goliath heron, but in the end, there's no getting away from it.

 I'm the bird guy

Comments