Captain Spaulding Chronicles : Hello, I must be going.

   The past week or so has been devoted to mental checklists and small personal landmarks. Alongside the mundane items like laundry and grocery shopping has been items like confirm reservation in Nairobi, and  hand the chameleon over to her pet sitter. During the course of this bustling around I become aware of markers in my routine that are too tiny to be milestones but somehow feel significant. This is the last pot of coffee I will brew until I come home, or I won't use this tool again until after Africa. I think the mind sub divides time like this- into minuscule daily revelations and  mundane but necessary busy work - to better prepare itself for the big epiphany that even now hasn't fully struck. For a while I am leaving behind everything I know, everything that is familiar and comfortable, and going into the Great Unknown.

    I am as prepared as I can possibly be. I have done all my research taken all the essential steps and have a plan.  Aside from a few stray essentials, like my toothbrush, everything has finally found it's way into my bags. I tried to pack light while still adhering to the glue-gun principle firmly embedded in my psyche by years of theater (Always have a glue-gun on hand so that you won't wind up needing it). I have made my peace with the fact that my house is as clean as it's going to be. There are a few minor details to take care of and then it's time to go.

The next submission that I write will be on African soil

Comments