Captain Spaulding Chronicles: Photodump IV - Amboseli

    Kilimanjaro is the Olympus of my childhood. One of the most iconic images of Africa is elephants walking beneath Mount Kilimanjaro. I felt my journey wouldn't be complete without seeing it. When shopping for safari packages, I made certain Amboseli would be a part of the itinerary. Amboseli is justifiably famous for views of "The roof of Africa" and it's large elephant population. It did not disappoint on either account. Elephants were so abundant that eventually our driver stopped slowing down for them. Not only that, the rich open marshlands were filled with massive herds of zebra, buffalo and antelope of all description. The bird life was rich enough for me to continually annoy my fellow passengers by asking the guide to pause so I could get a better view of vultures and wading birds. They found this an unnecessary distraction in their unending quest to see lions. I finally got a chance to see hyenas in Amboseli, another thing that evidently only I was excited about. The open country made it easy to spot and photograph wildlife. Even given, I only managed to take pictures of a portion of what I have seen



Yellow baboon, just outside my camp.












Egyptian Goose





Lion



Spotted Hyena

Reedbuck




Goliath Heron


Splendid Starlings

The view from our lunch spot


Tawny Eagle

Mother and child

Great White Pelican



Sunrise



Black backed Jackal

African Fish Eagle




Zebra prints


White browed sparrow-weavers

Comments